Saturday, January 13, 2007

Some Haiku

Most Haiku has three lines, and the first one has five syllables, the second seven, and the third five. This first one is like that.

Digger in the sand
Upside-down cone pyramid
Tiny ant lion.


This one is the other kind, where the syllables go six-eight-four. I like this better, mostly because it's not used as much.

A deer flies by like the wind
At it's heels, a mountain lion
Stalking his lunch


Here's another one in 6-8-4.

Lots of books on my shelf
Wonderful worlds I've lived in
Walking in dreams


And another.

Snowflakes fall to the ground
White swirls outside my window
Beautiful cold


One more to go.

A castle, high on a hill
Pennants flying on the towers
Rustic majesty of old

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I never could master the Haiku. Somehow I could never make those few syllables say anything. You've done it beautifully. I hope you don't give up on writing like I did.

Nione said...

Thank you so much for the comment! It's nice to get some feedback, so you know that you aren't just putting a bunch of words out in cyber space.
To tell the truth, I find Haiku to be the easiest kind of poetry I've ever written, besides free verse. It's certainly easier than writing a sonnet! I'm glad you enjoyed this post, and I hope I can put some more on here that are just a interesting.