Friday, December 15, 2006

A lesson in the grammar of poetry

Since I've been posting all this stuff about poetry, I thought I'd post something about the grammar of poetry. I mentioned things like trochaic, iambic, and tetrameter, and for some people, that's practically Greek. I'll try to make this stuff a little clearer.
trochaic and iambic refer to the feet of the poem. Iamb is an unstress, stress, and trochee is stress, unstress. For example, in my poem "Seasons of a tree", it says "beneath the tree there lies a mound." You say that sentence using the pattern unstress, stress. Trochee is the exact opposite. In my poem "My Shadow", the meter goes "'Will you follow me this day?'" That sentence you say with the pattern stress, unstress.
Does that make sense? If your still confused, chant the poems, instead of saying them like you would normally. If it still doesn't make sense, go ask someone else, like Wikipedia.
Other forms of feet are anapest, which goes two unstresses, one stress, (like "with the leaves on the ground"), dactyl, which goes one stress, two unstresses, (such as "down to the creek we run"), and spondee, which goes two stresses (I don't quite understand this one. How can a poem be all stresses and no unstress?)

The other word I used was tetrameter. This refers to the number of feet in each line of the poem. "My Shadow" and "Seasons of a Tree" both have four feet per line, so they are tetrameter. I think that's pretty standard.
The others are:
momometer - one foot
dimeter - two feet
trimeter - three feet
tetrameter - four feet
pentameter - five feet
hexameter - six feet
heptameter - seven feet
octameter - eight feet

I hope that was helpful to someone. Maybe one of these days I'll write about the figures of speech, such as simile and metaphor. Next week I ought to have a poem though. I find it so much easier to write the real thing then to just talk about it.

No comments: